View Single Post
Old August 19, 2018, 09:26 AM   #74
F. Guffey

Quote:
4. Screw the seating die down to ram, then back off at least one full turn to get away from crimp shelf . Lock the die.
I am not a fan of putting a new reloader into a dead run; if the crimp die crimps what is wrong with knowing where the crimp is located? And no, I do not expect an answer.

I suggest the reloader place a case into the shell holder and then raise the ram. After raising the ram I suggest the reloader adjust the die down to the case until he feels the die contact the case. Once the seating die that also crimps is adjusted down to the case the reloader can back the die off to prevent crimping.

Dillon and Lyman said crimping bottle neck cases is a bad habit especially when seating the bullet at the same time. Now I understand that is a mechanical problem: meaning, when the crimp is applied the bullet is being seated. With anything more than the hint of a crimp the bullet is moving down while the crimp is being applied. When the crimp latches onto the bullet the neck bulges and moves down. Back to the seating die does not have case body support: When the neck is shoved back the shoulder/case body juncture expands/bulges.

I know; reloaders learn nothing from this, reloaders insist they can move the shoulder back and they invented a new term with a blind of an old term called bump/ They bump, I can't because I find it impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has full length body support. The shoulder can be moved back with a seating die because it does not have case body support. And I understand there is a company that is making dies that support the case body. And they think they are the first

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02156 seconds with 8 queries