View Single Post
Old September 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Scorch

Quote:
Correct me if I"m wrong, but wasn't the .275 Rigby a simple repackaging of the 7X57? A simple name change for the British market?
Well, the answer is long-winded and a little off topic, but a good question nonetheless. Rigby was the exclusive importer (into the British Commonwealth) of Mauser rifles, most importantly for the Brits the square-bridge Mauser Magnum action used in large-bore rifles typically used for dangerous game. Since Napoleon had mandated the metric system (SI) for the European countries that came under his control and the British were using the Standard System, cartridges with metric designations were renamed with Standard System dimensions. So the .275 Rigby was a .275" bore rifle firing the Rigby cartridge (since Rigby was the only source for the ammo in England at that time), and later 7mm Rigby cartridges got a number (#2, #3, etc). Rigby had a whole line of proprietary cartridges. Many European metric designated cartridges were from other parts of the world, but the continentals renamed them with their very logical naming system (bore diameter X cartridge case length, and sometimes a designation for designer, rimmed, belted, etc). So yes, .275 Rigby was in fact the 7X57mm.

Last edited by Scorch; September 11, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03419 seconds with 8 queries