Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old November 3, 2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
If you are going to build yours, try to get the same brand
upper and lower. Better chance of color match and fit
Not necessarily true. I've seen DMPS and Bushmaster rifles where it looks like the uppers and lowers were built on different planets. Likewise, I have an AR build with a Spikes upper and a PSA lower that are as tight and well-finished as you could ever hope to find.

In response to the OP's question, the closest thing you will find on the civilian market to the current contract of military M4 rifles (at least in respect of the manufacturer's name stamped on the side) is the Colt 6920. The only real differences are a 16" barrel instead of 14.5" barrel and the lack of a happy switch. FYI - Colt is building the current contract of M4 carbines, and FN is building the current contract of M16 rifles.

That said, Colt builds their M4s out of a bin of sub-contractors components just like everyone else, so I will defer to tahunua001's advise. Check out Palmetto State Armory (PSA). They are even offering complete carbines now such as this one, which for all practical purposes is identical to the quality you'll find in a Colt, but for about $400 less. Remember the advise above - many of PSA's small parts and barrels are the same used as FN.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/8923.php

They also have a version with an FN cold hammer-forged barrel for $100 more than the one linked above.

Last edited by Fishbed77; November 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.03680 seconds with 8 queries