View Single Post
Old November 24, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
jheitertusa

Hunting with the .357

I was asked in another forum about my success this year hunting with my Handi-Rifle in .357 magnum, since the other member was considering buying one. I gave him this response:

That's a good question. Let me tell you what happened the other day deer hunting. I shot a doe at about 75 yards. I hit a couple inches to the left of where I wanted, and hit it in the shoulder. It looked like a solid hit. It broke it's shoulder, but it ambled off and left no blood trail, save a short trail of droppings. I looked for it, but lost it. I was using the Hornady 140gr LeverEvolution rounds. I think had I been using a heavier 180gr bullet, or better yet hit right through the vitals instead of the shoulder, I would have been fine. You have to place your shot carefully with the .357, even out of a rifle. I would use Buffalo Bore's 180 flat nose gas check or something similar next time. It's the fastest 180gr load I am aware of.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=946487

If you are going to buy the Handi for deer hunting, I would probably buy the .44mag version.

However, I think I will try again next year with the heavier bullets. I would say for deer hunting the .357 rifle has an effective range of 75 yards or less, with the proper ammunition and shot placement. On the other hand, I might just stick with my rifle-sighted smoothbore I.C. choked 870....it doesn't feel good to lose that deer.

Page generated in 0.02419 seconds with 8 queries