View Single Post
Old January 30, 2006, 09:10 AM   #46
invention_45

Courthouse faux pas

Hello, y'all. My first post. I had to register just to tell you all this one.

About 3 years ago I had to go to the Broward County Courthouse. At the time I had a Beretta 8045 (that I REALLY REALLY liked) and, of course, a CCL.

My practice, at the time, when going to places I knew disallowed CC was to unload the gun and lock it in the glove box. I figured better to come back and find a BG departing with it unloaded than loaded. So, of course, I'd put the clip in my back pocket and go about my business.

I was getting a RO, and the procedure is so that you go twice during the day (unless you want to wait there two hours, and it's not that entertaining of a place). First trip, I went in the main entrance downstairs. Empty all the metal stuff from my pockets, including the clip. Some official or another sees the clip in the little plastic bin on the x-ray belt and grabs it. He says I can't take it into the courthouse, but he'll bag it for me and I can pick it up at this little stand where two deputies watch the lobby.

I get my business done and go to that stand, and, sure enough, I get my clip back.

That afternoon, I go to pick up the TRO. Instead of going downstairs (the parking garage was fuller, so I was upstairs instead of ground floor), I took the 2nd floor flyover to get to the courthouse. There I found another entrance inspection station.

I know the drill, so I empty my pockets. Suddenly, lots of eyebrows go up and a deputy approaches me, takes the clip, and asks "what is this?". I ask him if he can hold it for me while I'm inside and says he most certainly cannot. I explain that that had been done earlier. As we're talking, more deputies show up and are chattering about the situation. One leaves.

After a minute it is explained that I'll have to take it back to my car. So I'm putting all my stuff back in my pockets and as I'm about to start walking back to the garage, the deputy who left returns.

He stops me and says he knows why I was allowed to have my clip stored earlier. The guys downstairs simply assumed I was in law enforcement.

Most of the guys present found it good for a laugh. But I did have to leave the clip in the car.

Another time I went to a nightclub. I followed the same practice, separate the gun/clip with the latter in my rear pocket. At the door they were patting everyone down, for drugs, I guess. The lady doing the patting touches the clip and asks "what's this?" I answer "it's my clip". She didn't even ask to see it. Maybe she thought I meant money clip. I was allowed in with it.

Page generated in 0.02234 seconds with 8 queries