View Single Post
Old June 24, 2009, 09:38 PM   #20
kle

Nope, it's got the stock .357 Magnum-chambered cylinder. This used to bother me, too, but the more I shoot with it, the more I actually believe that it doesn't affect accuracy, at least with this bullet. This has been my experience with my Model 19, as well as another 686-1 that I have (that I'm also considering for use in Distinguished Revolver--I won't be shooting these loads, but I've tried them in it with good results).

Now if we're talking about .38SPL 158gr semi-wadcutters, then I start to see a difference. Some ammo my Model 19 likes, some it doesn't. Some ammo my 686-1 likes, some it doesn't. Unfortunately, neither gun likes my practice reloads (3.9gr AA#2 Improved under a 158gr LSWC bullet) with hits barely on the paper let alone near the repair center with either gun.

I think the difference lies in the longer bearing surface of the HBWC bullets--the bullet encounters the 'shoulder' in the chamber before it's left the casing, and the hollow base has expanded with the casing to create a tight seal around the expanding propellant gases. Whereas with a LSWC, the bullet may not have hit the shoulder before the base leaves the case, and there isn't any expansion/obturation of the base to create a seal as the case expands. At least, that's what I think is going on, anyways. My practice loads are accurate enough out of my 4" Model 10-6, chambered for .38SPL. Too bad I don't have a Model 14 to really wring out any more accuracy out of my practice loads...

Page generated in 0.04361 seconds with 8 queries