View Single Post
Old November 22, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1
KUHIO

How does this measure up....?

Reading a recent post I observed that there are many varying views as to the utilization of concealed weapons. So I thought I'd share some of my training to see how it stands up with yours.

I was taught to observe Opportunity, Intent, Ability, and Preclusion in reguards to the use of deadly force.

Opportunity- Generally I believe everyone you encounter on a daily basis has the 'opportunity' to cause you serious bodily harm or death. I take opportunity to mean presence.

Intent- Does this person intend to cause me SERIOUS bodily harm or DEATH. I reside in Las Vegas, so I'm unaware of other state laws, but in Nevada bare fear (that is simply being afraid) is not enough to justify the brandishment of a weapon.

Ability- Is this BG physically able to cause you SERIOUS bodily harm or DEATH? Perhaps he/she is substantially larger/smaller than you. Perhaps it's a man vs. woman scenario. Perhaps one is confined to a wheelchair. Perhaps one is blind. There is an endless array of scenarios, however, ability is an important aspect to consider.

Preclusion- Have you exhausted all other options before resorting to deadly force? Have you given verbal commands to stop, have you called for help, have you tried to escape the situation? This is important, because in the event you are in fact involved in a shooting, demonstrating that you took the necessary steps to avoid a confrontation further strengthens your case.

Page generated in 0.03213 seconds with 8 queries