View Single Post
Old May 15, 2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

Range Report: XDm-9, M&P 9c, Glock 23

You may have read my initial review the other day of my new S&W M&P 9c, while I compared it to my brand new XDm-9 and Glock 23. Today I took all three to Scottsdale Gun Club(herein referred to as SGC) after work with a fellow coworker. I shot all of my testing from just 7 yards. Just trying to really see how close I could get all of the rounds to land...

First off, let me say that my favorite, by a pretty good margin... is the XDm-9. Together, we fed it about 300 rounds of Blazer Brass and Remington UMC. It functioned flawlessly 100% of the time. The accuracy is unbelievable. This weapon performs above and beyond what is expected in every area on functionality, ergonomics and performance. My coworker brought along his stainless Beretta 92FS that he's owned for 9 years. He carries it daily. He shoots it at least weekly. He keeps it in superb condition. If this tells you anything; he is selling it to buy his own copy of the XDm-9. Springfield has done everything right with this gun. The gear you get with it is of great quality. The 19 round magazines are impressive. The gun just screams precision manufacturing with combat durability from every direction.

The Smith & Wesson M&P 9c is also a great little gun. As a compact/sub compact size gun, it performs very well. I shot about 200 rounds and my coworker shot about 50 rounds through it. Zero failures of any kind! It's accuracy is decent for a 3 1/2" barrel. Comfort wise it's quite nice for such a small gun. Overall I have very few complaints with the M&P. I wish it came with a little more stuff. Granted, it's only a 12 round magazine, I like a speed loader. Easier on the fingers! I am also not a huge fan of the magazine's themselves. They seem very sticky. Loading or manually unloading them is not nearly as smooth as it could/should be. The XDm and Glock beat it by a long ways in the smoothness of the mags. However, mag insertion and ejection is excellent.

Finally - the Glock 23. Ahh.. what can be said about it? It's reliable; as I'd expect it to be. No real problems. Accuracy is so-so. I'm a bit more accurate with the M&P than with the Glock even though it's quite a bit smaller. Maybe part of that is the .40 vs the 9mm? Maybe part of that is the quality of the sights on the M&P vs the Glock? Either way... I do like the Glock. It's very solidly made and I have no 'real' complaints.... I just feel like it's more of a jack of all trades. It does pretty well at everything but isn't best at anything. I have considered trading or selling it, or just keeping it for the sake of keeping it. I really do like it. Don't get me wrong. I'm far from a Glock basher. I LOVE that fact that Glocks have no much in aftermarket options. Finding holsters for the XDm and M&P is a pain in the ass. The Glocks are everywhere. I had no complaints about the ergonomics until I tried the others, too.

Overall, I like all of the guns. As I said, the XDm is my favorite. The M&P will be my carry gun most of the time. Comments and questions are welcome of course.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries