View Single Post
Old January 7, 2023, 04:02 PM   #1
divil

Iron sight eye relief

When I first started shooting with irons, it was with AR-15s. I got into the nose-to-charging handle habit, because it was an easy way to be consistent, and it worked, in the sense that I got the best groups that way.

But recently I started experimenting more with ARs and my M1 Garand. And I found that now that I've shot a bit more, I get much better results with more eye relief. I think it's because with my eye up close to the aperture, I can't really see the aperture very well, so I'm relying 100% on consistent eye position to shoot consistently. But with my eye further back, I can see when the tip of the post is in the center, so I can do a more deliberate, geometric sight alignment each time. In other words I'm using the aperture in much the same way as the notch on an open rear sight.

If I go back too far, my groups seem to open up again. But I haven't tried this consistently enough yet.

Any iron sight target shooters have tips on the best eye relief, and how to maintain consistentcy? I've started putting blue masking tape on the stock to help me get a consistent position.

Page generated in 0.02987 seconds with 8 queries