View Single Post
Old December 13, 2022, 09:44 PM   #1
divil

Iron sight shooters - explain this!

Something strange happened at the range today. I was shooting an M1 Garand at an indoor range standing and leaning the rifle on my range bag. It was a pretty awkward position, but I noticed something really strange with the sights.

I discovered if I tilted my head forward a certain way, I could sometimes see a different, much sharper sight picture. In particular, the target was much sharper even though I was focusing on the front sight.

The best way I can describe it is like an old CRT TV when something was out of sync, you'd get the picture scrolling up the screen, followed by another copy of the same picture. Well when I tilted my head, the old sight picture "scrolled up" and was replaced by the better one. Or to put it another way, it was like I could somehow look "under" the normal picture. I could stop half way and see half of each.

It was really confusing and I couldn't get the picture consistently enough. But there's no question it was much sharper.

This was totally new to me and I haven't been able to reproduce it at home. I wear glasses for minor astigmatism but I generally see the same out of any part of my glasses.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas?

Page generated in 0.02010 seconds with 8 queries