View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
rodfac

Just a cpl thoughts Wally...

If your expander button is incorrectly positioned in the sizing die, (set to high) you'll stick the case in the die...here's how it works.

If the expander button and decapping pin are too high in the die, you'll be trying to size down the neck and body of the case while the expander button is still in the neck portion of the case...effectively sandwiching the case neck. Having done this early in my loading career (ca. 1962), and having a devil of a time removing the stuck case, I've been very careful regarding decap/expander rods ever since.

But if you're knocking out the primers with the present setup, it's pretty much impossible to do the above. Don't know what to tell you regarding the RCBS trim die problem, however, tho it's for use after re-sizing as I recall.

Be aware that those HXP primers are crimped in...I decap them by hand using a knock out punch then ream the primer pockets for ease of re-priming (after bending a cpl RCBS pins). I like HXP brass...have a bunch of it, but have never had the problems you describe.

With brass thoroughly cleaned as you describe, inside case neck lube is also necessary to preclude excessive lengthening due to drag on the expander button. Too, if you get this sorted out, I'd recommend chucking your expander button in a drill press and lightly polishing it with 600 & 800 grit wet or dry paper for a better smoother neck expand.

Lastly, you may have an undersized die (ie. small based FL sizing die). In my experience with a half dozen M1's, as many 03's and several commercial .30-06's, all fired predominantly with GI brass, I've never needed small based sizing dies...that goes for 5.56mm as well. Lube, as you're no doubt aware, should be lightly applied to the enter case from the largest diameter of the shoulder (but not including the slanted portion, nor the outside of the neck). On the first reloading, I've found it takes a bit more pressure on the press handle, but nothing like you're describing.

What kind of gun did you fire the rounds in? If it was a standard, 03 or Garand, and Imperial Wax isn't doing the job...I'd be hard pressed to offer a suggestion. Imperial is the standard by which all sizing lubes are judged...I've used it for over 25 years on everything from .222 to military .30-06 resized to .35 Whelen with no problems...much of that .30-06 with HXP from CMP as well.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.02906 seconds with 8 queries