View Single Post
Old October 28, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

I can only report that in what limited amounts I have used it, it was a 50-50 deal.

In my 25-06 AI, I used 30-06 necked down and FF'ed just the same as I did for Rem and Win. The Lapua I have found to be only about equal to the Win with regard to accuracy with the same loads, where as the Win has actually held up better with less split necks or loose primers. All of the results were after loading 30 cases, 10 of each the identical number of times with the identical loads. During my initial load work up testing I loaded 5 each of them pre formed from new cases, to the same point where I got just the slightest extractor mark on the case head, then I backed off 2 full grains as a max load. Using the actual load which is down another 1.3 grains from my max is where I finished up testing with the above mentioned 30 cases. SInce then I have mainly used the Win and Lapua interchangeably both recording excellent accuracy out to 400yds and not being able to tell a lick of difference between the two if fired in a blind test.

With the 6.5x55 I haven't loaded them enough to tell one way or the other, but they DO actually chamber and fit better. Overall the accuracy has been about par for this rifle.

I strongly believe that with a standard factory chamber most folks would never note much if any benefit using Lapua cases over most others depending on the actual rifle, however in a custom cut chamber, match barrel, and trued action, one could possibly quite easily distinguish the differences depending on the caliber and loads being used. Of course the shooter and their discipline also have to be considered as well. For the more experienced handloader or shooter the question in my mind is does it warrant the added cost per case or not? For me it hasn't shown it's worth the added cost, but I am shooting hunting rounds through a custom rifle and not competition, but I DO strive for the utmost accuracy which as I mentioned is a wash between the Lapua and Win. As such I have settled on using the Win once I work through my supply of Lapua.

Last edited by Mike / Tx; October 28, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 8 queries