View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
308Gunner

Refinishing AR15 Mags

So, I'm planning on refinishing a couple of 20 rd preban mags I have. I'm trying to decide what the best way to go. I've used Duracoat before, and had decent results with it, but it was on a polymer gun stock, so that was kind of hard to screw up. However, metal is a different ballgame, and I'm especially worried about parts that interface with the inside of the rifle. I don't want to be picking paint flecks out of the barrel and receiver forever. Binding is also a concern.

I don't have access to blasting, or any prep work outside of what I can do with sandpaper.

I am open to the idea of bake-on finishes.

I'm leaning towards Duracoat or Alumahyde II finish. If anyone has experience with these, let me know how they stand up on a mag. I've also seen folks saying that the curing and durability of these finishes can be improved with baking; if so, how long and what temp?

Also looking at how well this would work, since I'm planning on just making it black anyway; http://shop.bluewonder.us/products/B..._Kit-12-0.html

Also open to a finishing service I could send them out to if someone knows of a place that doesn't charge, say, more than $25/magazine.

Any input is appreciated!

— George Mason

Page generated in 0.02551 seconds with 8 queries