View Single Post
Old April 14, 2012, 09:16 AM   #42
CaptainObvious

If we are talking about behavior and mannerisms before and leading up to a self defense encounter, we must first understand the most common types of violence.

#1 Domestic- 80% of all violent crime is domestic violence
#2 Substance and alcohol induced
#3 Gang violence
#4 Targeted violence (strong-arm robberies)

There are also other types of violence which occur such as "road rage", but I find those instances to be rare so I dont include them in this post. Common sense can help avoid the other types of violence which infrequently occur. The top 3 forms of violence are more complex and go beyond a simple smile. That leaves us with #4 which is targeted violence. Here is a video which demonstrates targeted violence.

http://youtu.be/OlP9-8f5YpE

In the above video, the man was followed into a local McDonalds and then knocked out during a strong-arm robbery. This is actually a fairly common attack around here where one or more persons will overwhelm a soft target with brute force, quickly snatch whatever they have and then run into the night. The robber does not use a weapon because armed robbery carries more time in prison and such.

My advice to avoid violence is to stay away from alcohol/other drugs, stay away from areas which are known gang hangouts, and just try to get along with your wife the best you can. Be aware of your surroundings and keep people you do not know at a distance when possible. If you believe someone is following you and cant seem to get away then I wouldnt smile or try to be friendly. Obviously, someone who is following you does not have the best of intentions and are probably going to rob you at some point. Therefore, you have to make it appear that you will not be as soft of a target as they believe. Smiling and being friendly will reinforce in their mind that you are a soft target. You want to get away from someone who is following you and put distance in between them and you. However, sometimes you cant get away from them and so you have to engage them with words and gestures as a first resort. Sometimes a beggar will follow you for money and get up close for example. This is not a time to be friendly because being friendly will only encourage them to follow you more. You put up your hand as if to indicate "stop" and say in no uncertain terms in a serious loud voice "Do not follow me." or "I do not want to be bothered."

Finally, its noteworthy to say that anti-social behavior is never an acceptable reason to resort to violence against another individual. So just because someone is not smiling or acting in a manner which you approve does not mean you can engage in violence. Words and gestures is never a justification to hit someone.

Last edited by CaptainObvious; April 14, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03363 seconds with 8 queries