View Single Post
Old October 5, 2010, 12:00 PM   #48
Glenn E. Meyer

The problem with the old tired argument is that is very powerful in the debate. Vivid instances of crazed college youth are hard to counter.

It is also a problem that gun storage in dorms is a particular problem, given security, sloppy kids, etc.

Liability is also a very tough one.

About 21 year olds serving, being police, etc. - that brings you into the training argument. Such fine folk are trained. That's not the case with the kid who just bought a gun and may not even have a class like the TX one.

I get folks who say they wouldn't mind if I carried as they know I put significant time into being responsible - they don't trust impulsive untrained young people or whacky old coots with guns.

Sigh - All these arguments are made against carry anywhere in general. But since schools have been designated as more unusual risks than the mall, we need arguments to counter it.

I guess my point is how do you deal with such beyond just being outraged. The SCOTUS has said special circumstance limit gun rights. So the job of the carry crowd is to move beyond just complaining about rights as pragmatically that won't work and defeat specific objections.

1. Liability
2. Untrained -young and old
3. Reckless youth (not supervised or trained)
4. Risk to innocents
5. General emotional rejection of guns as a part of a solution.

If you can't give high level cognitive rationales - you may not carrry the day in argument.

Difficult problem.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 8 queries