Old October 4, 2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

First redstategunnut stated
Quote:
Beslan was a trial run.

It will be replicated
...but when asked...
Quote:
You think Ingush and Chechen rebels will attack another school in North Ossetia? That was 6 years ago. When do you think they will make another attack based on the trial run?
replied with
Quote:
No, I think that a degraded and less centrally organized terror network will look at less grandiose and elaborate means to inflict the terror that is their trademark.
So first the grandiose Beslan event was stated that it would be replicated, then it was stated that it would not. I guess that covers the bases awfully well. Something may happen in the future and it could be bad, or it won't.

Look, you can call any past event a trial run if by that you mean that somebody might do something similar to it at some point sometime in the future even though said person may have nothing to do with parties involved in the preceding trial run incident.

Quote:
2. No school I know of has enough of a significant armed force to respond to a serious attack by many heavily armed assailants.
The whole of Mumbai didn't. Fort Hood had trouble stopping just one guy. So did the citizens of Austin. In short, a lot of damage can be done by a single person or small group of people in a very short period of time if they have a decent plan to make that happen. It does not have to be overly complex, though multiple terror events happening at about the same time in multiple locations are often characterized as being "highly coordinated" when they are tasks undertaken on a simple schedule.

The thing about such attacks is that nobody, city, state, nation, remains 100% vigilant and fully protected all the time. It just does not happen. Bad guys will always wait for an opportunity to strike when it is to their advantage or which they think it is to their advantage.

If we had all the protection we needed, then everyone would be complaining about being in a police state and how expensive it is to pay for all the security that does nothing more than standing around and guarding us. Nobody wants that.

Quote:
What were the terrorists trying to accomplish in India? Did they succeed? Will terrorists be suicidal?
According to http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us the political goals of the terrorist were fairly grand...anti-India, anti-Isreli, anti-US/NATO.

Were they successful? Probably to a certain extent, but without follow through and followup, such terror events remain as isolated events and what small benefits might have been gained are lost. However, what probably matters most is whether or not they think they were successful.

Were they suicidal? None planned to survivethe event. http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv...4928&type=News

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; October 4, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.02193 seconds with 8 queries