View Single Post
Old July 7, 2009, 12:00 PM   #71
johnwilliamson062

A household golden retriever can make one heck of a mess of someones arm. I have seen it on a boy cutting through a fenced back yard. Dog had no history of biting. Maybe the kid messed with the dog, IDK. It happens sometimes. Some breeds are worse, but dogs get confused as to the situation or are set off by some action and almost any breed can become volent. Anyways, the dog does not need to be trained to cause significant bodily harm, of that I am sure. That is like saying someone untrained in the use of a handgun will probably miss so you should not take them as a threat when they are trying to shoot you.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume there is reasonable chance the dogs would have responded to a physical confrontation. If they had there would have been a great disparity of force. The man was facing an aggressive adult male unknown to the person, and two dogs trained by the person and also aggressive. I am not sure I would shoot, but if the smoke cleared and I had shot I certainly wouldn't think to myself, "that was a terrible decision, they clearly were not a threat to you."

Quote:
A few times, their actions would have justified the use of deadly force - but I withheld such force - perhaps foolishly - because I knew they were not behaving like they normally would.
Doing so is an act of charity. You aren't required to do so by law and I won't judge you for failing to do so, but I will commend you if you do.

Page generated in 0.03430 seconds with 8 queries