View Single Post
Old December 7, 2008, 05:41 AM   #59
nate45

This thread has more doo doo in it than I've seen in a long time.

First let me address the Mini 14 vs AR for target shooting, not much of a contest here, given two shooters of fairly equal ability, the one with the AR will eat the other alive.

Quote:
Mini-14. After about 100 rounds the AR-15 will gunk up and stuff.

Good luck-
I realize this post was addressed by several members, but come on where did you come up with this?

Here is a good post on Maryland AR15 Shooters Site...

AR-15 Reliability
By Troy (forum moderator at AR15.com)

My BM (Bushmaster) M4 is up to 7000 rounds with no cleaning, just a shot of CLP before heading out to the range. It is truly filthy, but it runs along fine. My only stoppages happened when trying out a brass catcher, where brass would occasionally bounce back into the action.

The last time I fired my AR I shot a 200 round mega pack of Remington UMC 55 gr FMJ. I cleaned it when I got home, but it wasn't really that dirty. I had no stoppages due to it being over 'gunked'. My AR is a low priced DPMS as well, not even close to the same quality of a Colt, CMMG, etc and it has never malfunctioned.

As far as some of the other posts regarding mud, sand etc turning the AR into a single shot go. I'm sure that is why our military has kept it all these years, because when any adverse conditions occur it fails.

I was in the US Army and was issued an M16A1, I never had a problem with it. None of the ones I was issued malfunctioned either, I'm not saying they never will, only that mine didn't. That includes using it in adverse conditions and many hundreds of rounds of full auto fire.

I've previously owned one Mini-14 and I now own a Mini-30. They are and were OK, but they are not as good a target or combat weapon as the AR period.

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries