View Single Post
Old July 8, 2007, 09:25 AM   #25
Fremmer

Based on my last experience with a new hunter:

1. You can't buy your way to a successful hunt. Spending thousands of dollars on gear won't help you get a deer. You don't need a range finder, special electronic ear protection, 18 million calls, and/or other gadgets. Most of that stuff will just weigh you down and make noise when you move. Whatever you do, don't brag about how much your uber-special rifle and super scope (and the rest of your gear) cost. Not saying you'll do this, but man....the last newbie we hunted with was driving me crazy with price quotes. And a beat up old Marlin lever gun will take an animal just as well as the super-special Weatherby that cost thousands of dollars.

2. Know your rifle and scope before you hunt. That means actually shoot it before the morning of the hunt. If you ask your friends how the safety works or how to load the gun the morning of the hunt, they'll be really nervous!

2.5. Make SURE that you sight that scope in before the morning of the hunt. I don't care if some "gunsmith" from the chain store where you purchased the rifle and scope told you that bore-sighting will make the rifle "close enough."

3. You have to be quiet and not move. For example, runny nose? Let it run (don't move those hands). Find a good spot near some good cover and sit there, and do your best not to move. Take some long-lasting candy (like Jolly Ranchers) to help keep your throat from getting dry while you sit there.

4. Gore tex is your friend. Waterproof and breathes. Good gloves and good socks/boots are also necessary. Don't try and break in those boots during the hunt, because blisters will result.

5. You are in the mountains, so you'll need a good survival kit, extra jacket, socks, etc. The GPS sounds like a good idea (that's one gadget that's good for a "directionally challenged" person such as myself).

6. Get set up in an area fairly close to a more experienced hunting buddy, so if you do shoot one, he or she can moosey down to your area and help you gut and clean. See if you can find a good spot with a make-shift rest (tree branch, log, etc.) -- see below.

7. If you see one, wait for a good broad-side shot. Trying to hurry a shot will make you miss (ask me how I know ). Use a rest whenever possible. If you miss and the animal runs off, don't move! There may be other animals just out of sight in the same area. Wait for them to show themselves.

That's the best I can do for right now. Good luck, and have fun!

Edited to add: spot and stalk? O.K. Get a good pair of binocs, and follow the lead of the more experienced hunters. Sorry I didn't initially notice that part of your post.

Page generated in 0.03088 seconds with 8 queries