View Single Post
Old December 26, 2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Crosshair

Off topic, but is there actualy any scientific studies showing lead shot is killing wildlife left and right? I can see the possibility of injestion of shot. But just how lethal is it? Elemental lead is not very toxic compared to some compounds that contain lead. I know that a large number of game birds are needlessly wounded because of steel shot.

With birds that are wounded, lead is basicly inert. Steel shot can rust, causing further health problems.

The only real "study" I can find is one from years ago where a biologist studied gizzards from harvested birds. It was limited in scope and seemed to be a preliminary study to show that more research was needed. I find others that are only found on anti-hunting sites. Is there any good research that shows that using lead shot is more dangerous that steel or other shot types (That seem to be made of gold, looking at their prices.)

I like to keep an open mind, but I am just not seeing the science to back up the banning of lead shot. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Page generated in 0.02657 seconds with 8 queries