View Single Post
Old February 18, 2019, 06:02 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"However, the .38ACP wasn't a common round--maybe that combined with the headstamp might provide some clues."

Peters cataloged the .38 ACP cartridge for over 50 years, so yeah, it was common enough.

I found, in a color Peters catalog from the 1920s, a .38 ACP cartridge that looks very much like that.

The 1948 catalog also shows the same style bullet, but it appears that at that time the cases had been nickeled.

The 1952 catalog, though, seems to show a brass case and a copper colored bullet.

Remington purchased Peters in 1934 and continued to manufacture ammunition at Kings Mills, Ohio, as the Peters Cartridge Division.

Boxes were also marked Peters Du Pont. Du Pont had purchased Remington the year before Remington purchased Peters.

The Peters headstamp was used on metallic ammunition until, I believe, the 1960s; the R-P headstamp was also used for many years.

Realistically, there's often no way to narrow down the production year for an individual cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02566 seconds with 8 queries