View Single Post
Old May 2, 2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Famas

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimius View Post
I was under the impression that the PIAT used the spring to launch the round. It appears I may be mistaken and that the round did fire a propellant charge...?
If so, the PIAT would "expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant" and fall under the NFA definitions.

From what I can tell, there was a small little capsule charge which is inserted into the projectile tube, I think with the power of a short shotgun shell. When the piston was released, the piston struck the charge which did two things at once: it sent the projectile on it's trajectory and blew the piston back into cocked position. Without the charge, the projectile goes no more than 15-20 feet and the piston does not recock itself. These charge capsules were carried in a tin.

There is no propellant within the projectile. I suppose the piston within the launcher is considered a "firing pin".

So, the PIAT is considered a firearm but is it still classified as a DD? It seems that as recent as 2008 it was taken OFF the DD classification, but then put back on?

Last edited by Famas; May 2, 2019 at 06:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.03776 seconds with 8 queries