View Single Post
Old July 12, 2002, 01:45 AM   #1
L.E.

Burned twice by Terry Hensley of Surplus Ltd

Well several months ago I defended Terry Hensley on the night vision board to the point of getting into nasty email exchanges with other associates in the night vision business. I have now seen the light. I defended Terry because I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on our original business transaction where I let a clear case of fraud and misrepresentation go as a mistake on Terry’s part. I have now been burned twice by him and I feel like a fool.

Last summer I was the winning bidder on one of Terry Hensley’s Ebay auctions for a AN/PVS-4 night vision scope. Terry frequently posted auctions on Ebay under the user name "Augman" then "Surplusltd" and now "Pot Roast". He also posts as "Container" and "Pork chop" on various boards. The auction was for a good condition fully serviceable PVS-4. The photo of the unit showed a good surplus condition PVS-4 with complete U.S. labeling. As to be expected some wear on the edges but in good condition overall. When it arrived it took me about 2 seconds to realize the PVS-4 Terry Hensley shipped me was not the PVS-4 represented in the auction. The PVS-4 Terry sent looked literally as if had been kicked across a gravel parking lot for an hour. It had no labeling whatsoever. I was quite displeased but briefly considered keeping it until I turned it over and saw the 1 inch hole in the side of the objective lens housing. The hole looked as if someone had either A. struck the scope with a ball peen hammer or B. shot it
with a .45 ACP from 75 yards. I immediately emailed Terry Hensley of Surplus Ltd about the condition of the PVS-4. He admitted he used a photograph of a different PVS-4 for the Ebay auction. He told me to send it back for
a refund. Terry made good on the refund but it was still a big waste of my time. Had he used an actual picture of the unit and made ANY mention of the HOLE IN THE OBJECTIVE LENS HOUSING I would have never bid on the unit.

Now fast forward to June 2002.

On June 2nd Terry Hensley listed a set of PVS-7A night vision goggles on Ebay with a buy it now price of $1698. He received no bids during two auctions. He also posted the goggles on Sturmgewehr and AR15.com for $1698. About a month later on June 30th Terry Hensley listed the PVS-7A for sale on nightvisiononline.com for $1500. On
July 1st he dropped the price to $1400. On July 1st I emailed Terry inquiring about the condition of the PVS-7A’s and another night vision unit. The following is our email correspondence.

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 12:22 AM

Subject: PVS-7A

Terry is there anything wrong with the 7A's or headmount that would affect performance such as broken parts, tube burns, out of spec blemishes etc? How much for shipping to 97124?

Thanks
Mike LeMarte

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Re: PVS-7A

Date:

Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:27:27 -0500
There is nothing wrong with the 7a's and there is nothing wrong with the ITT 250 we upgraded to a third gen.The 7A's have a new headset. The body has a few rough spots but other than that they are flawless. Both items are priced right for the money.

I emailed again asking for the shipping amount to zip code 97124

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Date:

Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:48:35 -0500

$ 10.50 ground 4-days
$ 28.19 2 day air

I then sent a email inquiring about pricing if I purchased both the PVS-7A and the ITT 250 together.

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Date:

Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:21:53 -0500
Marte,

7A $ 1400.00

250 $ 1000.00

If you want them act immediately, Im not going to play around with this, I'm under some strain and need cash quick for a building I am constructing, I may have a loan approved later in the week but I dont want to use it if at all possiable. I'm letting all my stuff go for less $$ but once the building's up it'll be back to normal and normal retail.

The next day I sent the following email:

Date:

Wed, 3 Jul 2002 06:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

To:
[email protected]

Terry if the Gen 3 7A's are still available I will take them. Please email your address and I will get a cashiers check out today.

Thanks

Mike

A short time later at 7:21 AM Terry posted the PVS-7A goggles as sold(to me)on his for sale add on www.nightvisiononline.com

40.FS: Litton 7A Goggles. Terry , Jun 30, 2002, 1:24 PM

1.FIRST $ 1400.00 + SHI get's them tonight. Terry , Jul 1, 2002, 5:33 PM

1.SOLD>>>>>>> SOLD>>>>>>. Terry , Jul 3, 2002, 7:21 AM(Sold to me)

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Date:

Wed, 3 Jul 2002 08:48:34 -0500

$ 1400.00 + $ 11.00 Fedex ground = $ 1411.00

Terry Hensley
Box 151142
Ft.Worth, Texas 76108

One hour later my cashiers check was in the mail.At about 10:20 AM that morning I emailed Terry Hensley, notifying him I had sent a cashiers check for $1411 via priority mail and that it should arrive by Friday. Below is the USPS confirmation information:

Delivery Status

You entered 0302 0980 0001 6321 8757

Your item was accepted at 9:47 am on July
03, 2002 in HILLSBORO, OR 97123. Status
is updated every evening. Please check
again later

His reply:

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Date:

Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:15:58 -0500

It will ship out same day Fedex ground and be there within 4 days.

On July 4th Terry Hensley sent me the following email:

[email protected]

To:

"Michael LeMarte"

Subject:

Date:

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:18:55 -0500

I'm backing out of the 7A deal we had.....
XXX XXXXXXX (name of 3rd party deleted for privacy)needs that paticular set of goggles for testing of a load of tubes due to arrive in from ITT and I'm going to back out of our deal...
I get product from XXX, tubes, housings, the works and it would make better sense for me to sell them
to XXX anyway.I'll send your Certified check back 3-day Priority mail. Sorry for the inconvience.

The next day I saw Terry placed a PVS-7A headmount up for sale for $300. Maybe it was a different set but unlike PVS-7B headmount 7A headsets are like hens teeth.

I received my cashiers check back as well as money to cover the priority mail so luckily all I am out is a few bucks for the cashiers check and the hour or so spent at the bank and post office.
Now I see Terry Hensley has the gall to post on the subguns.com board of inquiry on 7-8-02 complaining about a guy who promised to purchase several AR magazines then backed out a week later after not sending payment. Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. He has no problem with renigging on a deal after the customer has sent payment in a very timely manner but screams bloody murder when the tables are turned on him. As far as I am concerned Terry Hensley of [email protected], aka "Augman",aka "Pot Roast", aka "Pork Chop", aka "Container" is dishonest and unscrupulous. His word means nothing. I know he has his supporters (I used to be one of them)but then again even Paul Podhorn made good on some of his transactions. His negative and neutral feedback rating on Ebay speak for themselves. I wish I had listened sooner.

Page generated in 0.03987 seconds with 8 queries