View Single Post
Old February 26, 2000, 05:55 PM   #11
fubsy

Pluspinc,
Ive read with interest how the bad guys outshoot trained leo's and ive looked at the video on your sight......do you have any video/picture of the non-leo or bad guys out shooting said good guys?....I guess the question is what are they doing that makes them so successful?.(Is it just that they initiate the violence, so your starting out behind the 8-ball?)
I originally shot small bore competition in a minor way, and when i began to look at shooting for self-defense, I was living in ElPaso tx, and Do to my fathers profession I started shooting for a short time in those aroyos with some custom agents, borderpartrol, and probation officers.....they would put the target 3 feet in front of me and the idea was to draw and fire into the target quickly. I remember for the sake of speed, shooting from the hip, and a lot of the shots were low or missed entirely, I had to purposely remember to bring the gun up higher.....Never once did i look at the sights, not until much later.
The dismal showing I had using the "speed rock" caused me to burn up tons of ammo in those arroyo's trying to learn "point shooting", later on I might not actually hit the target (usually a small can or pill bottle or bottle cap), i was often close,,,,,,,,
I started shooting when i was around 14 and thats 30 years ago for me and Im trying to figure out what you think the simple technique is, If i go back over my "evolution" as a shooter certain things stick out,the target techniques, the instinct shooting, the "push" the gun toward the opponent, and the always use the sights, and the enveloping the gun in the picture, and theirs probably somemore I just dont recall........so what are we talking about here?
As long as I recall the leo types in my experience always were aware that the shooting's were mostly up close and that the situation could evolve to contact range.
I have never had the advantage of going to a professional school to learn these self defense shooting techniques, but I have sota of evolved into a form of weaver, which does allow me to get the pistol up to an area that encompasses the pistol in my vision, most of the time I dont have a traditional sight picture with the sights.
I worked into this by trying to find the quickest way to present the pistol, sight the pistol and to keep the pistol in close to aid in retention.
So how wet am I? Should i take a big beach towell next time i go shooting or what?....I do enjoy learning so trot it out and lets take a look at it....tks fubsy.

Page generated in 0.03040 seconds with 8 queries