View Single Post
Old April 5, 1999, 08:06 AM   #6
Rosco Benson

Art wrote expressed a couple ideas that I want to address....
>To me, "Defensive" means close range, or if >indoors, "too close!" range.
>So, why ghostring sights? Sights? "We don' >need no..."

At across-the-den ranges, the shot charge has not spread sufficiently to give us the advantage of a "pattern". Thus, the shotgun must be aimed precisely. At short range, this CAN be done with just a bead, but a ghost-ring setup is more precise and no slower. Ghost-rings also facilitate accurate slug shooting...probably not real important in a home defense situation, but it gives the shotgun some "reach" if it ever must be pressed into service as a substitute rifle.

If our hypothetical home-defender had chosen a pistol-caliber carbine, would you suggest that he take the sights off of it and substitute a bead?

>A flashlight attached to a defensive weapon >seems to me to provide an aiming point for >a bad guy. I think I'd rather use a shotgun >one-handed, with the light held out to the >side with the other, if the flashlight is >needed.

An on-gun flashlight can be vital for target identification. While I won't discount the possibility that a bad guy could shoot for the beam source, I think that the efficiency gained by the on-gun lights outweighs this. The Surefire forend lights are in wide use and I've not heard of any user injuries attributable to bad guys shooting at the light. As to the notion of holding the light out and away from the shotgun, thus requiring that the shotgun be operated with one-hand; well, doing so effectively turns your Model 12 pump into a single-shot. It is also difficult to hit well when using the shotgun with one hand. We practice one-handed use of the shotgun for emergencies in which one hand is injured. It can be done, but with much lost efficiency. If you plan to utilize this technique, then be sure to practice it.

>My Model 12 holds 7 rounds. I'm not sure >I'd need shell-holders in a "normal" self->defense situation. I'm thinking of in-the->house or near it, for usage.

No less authority than Jeff Cooper says that the typical number of rounds expended in a fight by a shotgun user is ONE. Still, a few more is comforting. The on-gun shell holders permit one to "top off" their shotgun during a lull in the fight or when (one thinks) the fight is over. The on-weapon shell carriers also facilitate taking along a couple slugs...just in case the situation develops into a hostage-situation or an adversary at a longer distance.

>but seven rounds is either more than you'll >need, or nowhere near enough and you're >dead.
>Folks been doing pretty well for the last >150 years or so with single- or double->barrel guns...

As always...it's the man, not the gun, who wins or loses the fight. Still, if we have the opportunity to outfit ourselves with the best available tool, we should do so. Splendid results have been had with unsuitable equipment in many situations. While there are many stories of single and double-barrel shotguns being successfully used in defensive situations, it is well to remember that those who found them inadequate are in no position to tell their stories.

Just my thoughts on the subject...respectfully offered, Art.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited April 05, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02464 seconds with 8 queries