View Single Post
Old January 29, 2009, 02:14 PM   #24
pax

John ~

One problem with Harries is that it is not terrifically useful around left side cover. Around left side cover, Harries ties you up in knots, and creates a high likelihood of blinding yourself by illuminating your cover at close range w/o even getting the light around the corner! In Harries around left side cover you have to lean out so far that the cover might as well not be there in the first place. Also, although it's stable for shooting, it's just not generally a good position for searching, since it (again) leaves you tied in knots, unable to block a surprise blow from either side, and also because it, like weapon mounted lights, also pretty well forces you to point the gun everywhere you point the light. So it's a great shooting technique, but not necessarily useful for some specific and predictable non-shooting preludes.

I've never heard the "Good technique" so named. Have heard it called "Georgia Patrol," going back to the days when LEOs would rest the giant huge 4-cell D flashlight on the left shoulder while approaching a car at night (why Georgia? Dunno).

It is indeed a good technique, but since all kinds of studies have shown that bad guys tend to shoot at the light, I dislike putting the light right next to my head like that. Try this, though: flashlight in hand, bring your hand up to your shoulder/neck level, aimed at the target. Now with your elbow raised, simply move your hand away from your body, so the light is held at least two feet away from your head and slightly above it.

This allows you to illuminate your sights (with side splash) and your target (directly). It also allows you to easily search while keeping the gun pointed in a direction known to be safe (down) rather than pointing the muzzle into areas of unknown safety. With your hands separated, and one hand raised, you're prepared to fend off an unexpected assault from either side. If attacked from the left, you can simply pivot and fire with your right hand; if attacked from the right, you can use the flashlight as an impact weapon against the assailant until you can bring the gun into play. If the assailant shoots at you rather than rushing you, he's more likely to aim at the light than at your body, giving you time to respond appropriately. And you are more likely to keep your balance if he rushes you, since your hands are not "tied together" by your flashlight technique.

Try it ...

pax

ps -- agree with Skyguy about lasers. They're the best low light technique ever invented.

Page generated in 0.03658 seconds with 8 queries