View Single Post
Old September 1, 2011, 09:08 AM   #447
Hammer It

Hello
Deer season is approaching Fast, so I hand loaded some ammo for my S&W Model 16-4. Hamilton Bowen Modified it from it's .32 H&R Magnum Cartridge Factory form, to it's new Federal .327 Magnum cartridge a couple of years ago. I harvested a large Tennessee Bobcat with it in the Past, but now I want to try it out on Deer. I loaded a Round that has Proven it's accuracy Potential in the past and it shined again for me. This load consists of a Sierra 90 Grain Sport's Master Bullet with a Hollow Point design. I used Accurate Arms # 7 Powder dispensed at 10.5 Grains and a CCI-350 Small Pistol Magnum primer with an AOL of 1.500" and heavy crimp. I also Put together a Heavy Target Load using a Rainier 100 Grain Hollow point bullet & Hornady HS-6 Powder dispensed at 7.7 Grains with a Standard Winchester small Pistol primer and medium crimp. I took my Chrony velocity meter with me to the range and set it up to see exactly what these two loads were clocking. The velocity of the 90 Grain Sierra Sports Master bullet's showed to be 1630 F.P.S., while the Rainier bullet Target load showed to be a consitent 1350 F.P.S. The Sierra Bullet load extracted fine and showed to have Moderate medium flatness to the primers. The Rainier Bullet load extracted fine and showed milder primer flatness. Both Load's were shot from a Plastic Pistol Rest as shown at the 25 Yard line and I was Pleased with the accuracy of Both Loads. I feel I could increase the Sierra Load some more with out pressure issues, and will do so my next trip to the Range.The spent Cases showed to be super clean in nature as far as the powder used being the Accurate Arm's # 7 Powder, but the Hodgen HS-6 showed some soot to it's spent cases. I retrieved the slugs shown by the targets they were shot with, and as you would suspect the Sierra 90 Grain Hollow point bullet expanded Very much compared to The Rainier copper flashed hollow point bullets. I will work some more with the Sierra Bullet load to see if increasing it's velocity help's or hurts the accuracy. The Load information I have shown here was from my Past experience of working up the Federal .327 magnum cartridge. Loads of this nature or velocity should be shot from a Heavy frame Gun as my S&W is, for those that would like to work on their own loads I can't express enough caution when working with this round, start at least 15% lower than what I have shown here and pay close attention to high pressure signs as you slowly work up with it. In other word's, I aint Responsible if you Blow up your gun or hurt Your self load this round carefully starting lower and working up to Maximum Level's....

The F-1 Chrony bullet Trap Meter set Up and a Pistol Rest in Position

The Six shot Results from the Sierra 90 Grain Sport's Master bullet load

The spent Cartidges of the Sierra Bullet load showing medium to heavy flatness to the primers

Four Sierra 90 Grain Slugs recovered from the Dirt Berm behind the Target stand's. A Special note while looking for these slugs I passed by Many .357 and .45 ACP Bullets in the Dirt. I could only find Four Sierra slugs as I dug 10" in the Berm Dirt for them

This Target was also Six shot's at the 25 Yard line using the Rainier 100 Grain Hollow point Bullets. It's accuracy was very close to The Sierra bullet load

These are the Rainier Hollow point 100 Grain Bullet's that I found in the Dirt Berm. Note they kept most of their actual weight when recovered compared to The Sierra bullets these seemed to hold up better but did not expand near as much. They too were far past any other slugs I found in the dirt berm being .357 & .45 ACP slugs

Page generated in 0.03988 seconds with 8 queries