View Single Post
Old October 16, 2001, 02:29 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Four Whitetails with .45 Auto - - -

- - - I think. There were several years when I'd take two doe per season with handgun. And one additional with a S&W M-25 revolver, with .45 ACP ammo. All were one-shot stops, with hollow points--one the 190 gr. Super Vel, two Sierra 185 JHC, and can't recall the other two. With the old Colt Natl. Match, one was at about 25 yards, and three at six to fifteen yards. The one with the 6.5 inch S&W was at about 35 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an accurate .45 auto at up to 20 yards, even with my current eyesight, so long as I had a decent rest. I just feel enough respect for the game animals to want clean kills.

I personally know guys who have killed deer with 230 FMJ and HP loads and with 200 LSWC. One friend has taken a couple with the 9 mm BHP, loaded VERY HOT, but he says this was more on the order of showing it could be done, and doesn't care to repeat.

I have no hunting experience with 10mm. I think choice of bullets would be crucial, more so than with .41 Mag.

My own experience shows that I don't want to shoot any more deer with a .357 revolver, so I have no wish to use a Super .38 or 9 mm. I'd probably use my BHP in .40, with proper loads. All in all, I prefer .44 Mag, .44 Spec, or .45 Colt for game animals.

Varmints are, perhaps, a different matter.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries