View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014, 12:43 PM   #1
troysmith03

help identifying unmarked japanese rifle chamber

Hello all,

I have researched this till im blue in the face and have come up with no aswers so i thought i might ask some experts.. I recently came into a Japanese Type 99 Rifle... well actually a box of parts that resembles a rifle. Everthing is there and complete except that i am sure this rifle has been re barreled. I know because i have made of 7.7 japanese brass and it is too long by over an inch to chamber in the rifle. So i have used wax to cast the rifles chamber and took measurement, however i have not come up with anything that fits the measurement i took, everything is too long.. The closest matches i have come up with is 7.5x54 MAS which is still too long and .308 winchester (also too long but just slightly..) i am tempted to lube up a factory fresh .308 case and fireform it to get better measurements but it will mean tapping the brass case into the chamber and hoping i get it in all the way to close the bolt :/.. so not exactly the process id like to move forward with unless i have no other choice. Anyways i have added photos of the casting and measurements hoping someone can give me advice on where to go from here..

also i have done reseach on the rifle itself and traced it back to the place of manufacture for the action.. it is early 1942 and IS NOT a training rifle receiver.. the bolt is not a factory bolt as it has a curved handle but has the correct style and function of safety.. also fun note the emporers seal is NOT defaced at all

Thanks you for all your help!

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries