View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 04:55 PM   #10
breakingcontact

Re: Enhanced Performance 5.56mm

Jmr40 said it pretty well.

Mixing in more dedicated marksmen rifles such as M14s or AR10s (whatever the military designation is escapes me) would be a good solution. Too often people who weren't in the military or otherwise unaware don't understand how layered the battlefield is and there isn't some universal weapon whether we are talking rifles, machine guns, air craft, mortars, armor, mechanized infantry vehicles...there just isn't one best thing.

I also think our obsession with fighting rifles shows are desire to take the fight to the enemy in an old fashioned firefight. Of course firefights still happen, but things are so lopsided that the specific rifles used rarely determine the outcome of the battle. Whether "they' know we are leaving base at 0430 hours due to Intel, have bombs in the road or can escape due to knowing the terrain better and "us" being able to call in air strikes or artillery, having appropriately bomb resistant vehicles and cleared MSRs and a clear knowledge of who and where the true enemy is, these are the things that matter far more in this current mess of a war we are in. Who knows what the next war will bring. But I'm sure there will be people online debating the rifles used.

Page generated in 0.02895 seconds with 8 queries