View Single Post
Old April 27, 2012, 11:28 AM   #21
tirod

Gosh, you post longer winded diatribes than I do.

Here's the point: Title of post is: Help please I need to build and AR or M4! Result: bought a CX4.

Why? Some maker didn't immediately reply to an email? Ok, move on. There's two dozen to go. Ammo costs too high? Anything but surplus is commercial, period. You either shoot taxpayer financed military caliber ammo that is outdated, overruns, reject, or import - or pay commercial rates like everyone else.

The facts don't change to accommodate you, you consider the facts and then decide.

What range and target determine what cartridge, not popularity, Press, or prestige. If expense is a consideration, that will limit choice, too. But when range and target aren't known, spelled out, and made the goal, then aimless drifting in the aisles of a gun store is the result. Even when it's narrowed down to an AR. They can do a wide variety of shooting depending on how it's set up.

Don't blame us for throwing your hands up in the air and giving up. You didn't listen and consider what was being said.

Anyone who wants to do ANYTHING has to accept that the current state of the art will not allow adopting all the best that might come to be - it's a snapshot of what is offered commercially on the market at the time.

And as that process unfolds, yes, new understandings come about. The release of a BCM grip recently made me think about replacing the Tango Down I have. Of course, the net result would be the expense of another $30 and absolutely no measurable improvement whatsoever. I just might like the "feel."

Next month, something else. The market always has something else.

Overall, I got the gun built, it shoots, and a AR that shoots met the goal. Did the price of ammo at $4 for five rounds stop me? No, it was CHEAPER than the ammo I buy for my .30-30. Point being, informed perspective has a lot to do with making decisions.

I studied, researched, and compared the data with the desired end goal in building the gun, built it, shot it, and use it.

It's called commitment, and the price to do it was met. I had to sell off other stuff to finance it, as NONE of the funds could come out of a paycheck. And didn't.

I decided I would rather have the functioning AR of my choice, rather than the things I had, and disposed of them. In one perspective, the gun was free. My net worth in possessions as expressed on dollars didn't change.

Anybody can do that - if they commit to the goal and accept that reality will force some choices. Sticking to a fantasy view of not getting anything if I can't have what I want is just another way of saying I wasn't committed and didn't want to actually do it.

No problem with that, I've done it. Precisely why I studied it for a year on the net before jumping in. I read, searched, and thought about it. When an answer didn't immediately seem obvious, I gave it a week or two.

Some took months.

The gun got built anyway.

It's not exactly the way I want it.

It shoots anyway.

That's better than not having one.

It's an AR, I put together myself, and that met the goal, in time to use it when I planned.

Success.

Not substitute.

It's not for me to decide if getting a substitute is ok - nor is doing nothing a bad choice.

But a substitute is not necessarily success at meeting the goal.

Having a working AR was for me.

I wouldn't accept any other result.

Does writing like this really make it more valuable?

I don't think so.

That's why I don't usually do it.

Keeping a post to within the borders of one screen means it gets read.

Slinging it out over screenfuls, not so much.

On the internet, white space is death.

It lacks depth or data.

Empty disc space.

And it looks it.

That's why the general guideline is think twice, post once.

Page generated in 0.04487 seconds with 8 queries