View Single Post
Old December 3, 2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Modern blue is much more resistant to corrosion than older forms of blue.

In point of fact, Smith and Wesson finished more of their small frame 19th Century Top Break revolvers with nickel plating than blue for that reason.

When Ruger first introduced their Stainless Vaqueros, they had a matte finish. However Ruger soon realized that a high polish stainless finish would closely resemble the nickel plated finishes of the 19th Century.

This nickle plated Remington Model 1875 probably left the factory around 1875 (yes, 1875). It was very well cared for over the years, and despite being from the Black Powder era the plating has held up very well and it exhibits very little corrosion.

This nickle plated Merwin Hulbert left the factory sometime between 1881 and 1883. It has stood up very well over the years and exhibits very little corrosion.

This Smith and Wesson 2nd Model Russian left the factory in 1875. About half the blue has worn away, the exposed metal has developed a typical dark patina. The patina is actually rust, but this type of rust often seals the metal from further deterioration cause by contact with atmospheric oxygen.

This Smith and Wesson New Model Number Three left the factory in 1896. Like the Russian, about half of the blue has worn away, being replaced with a dark patina.

I only shoot cartridges loaded with Black Powder in these firearms, never Smokeless.

I have many other revolvers, both blued and nickel plated that I only shoot with Black Powder.

I suspect that the humidity in the summer where I live is probably just as bad as where you live.

My point is, modern blue is much more robust than the blues of the 19th Century. My second point is that Black Powder fouling is not as corrosive as most shooters believe. The combination of corrosive primers with Black Powder made BP fouling much more corrosive in the old days, but we don't use corrosive primers any more, and BP fouling is not as corrosive as many think.

Buy what you want. Clean it in a reasonable time and give it a light coating of oil when you are done. Don't store it under water. Everything will be fine.

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries