View Single Post
Old December 2, 2019, 04:59 PM   #4
HiBC

FWIW,of the named barrels above,Kreiger,Obermeyer,and Bartlein are cut rifled.

But,to answer the OP,not every "expert" friend is an expert.

Scorch is correct in that many very fine,accurate barrels are button rifled.

Last I heard,our Squad Designated Marksman rifles are fitted with Douglas button rifled barrels with a 1 MOA requirement.

I'm thinking the Designated Marksman fires more than 500 rds.

Lilja is a button rifled fine barrel.

White Oak AR barrels are match worty. Button rifled.

I can say I have a preference for cut rifling without saying button rifling is inferior.

As far as the "theoretical" difference,as I understand it,its not as big of a deal with fat bench rest type barrels,but lighter barrels are turned to a contour.

There are two choices. Button rifle before contouring,or after contouring.

Either way has some technical problems regarding stresses (Remember,not a problem for fat contours used in bench rest)

A cut rifled barrel can be profiled,finish reamed,the bore dia lapped ,then stress relieved. Then the rifling can be cut and the bore finish lapped.

The level of stress relief in a cut rifled barrel can be better than in a button rifled barrel,if we are talking profiled barrels.

While that appeals to my mind,I'm sure I do not shoot well enough to see the difference.

I'm not a barrel maker,but I doubt the barrel accuracy life is significantly different if,for example,both barrels are made of 416 R steel and they go through the same stress relief oven,cryo,or whatever other process.

The barrel you linked to is polygonal rifling. I have zero experience with poly rifling,but I'd be more leary of that than whether a barrel is cut or button rifled.

If I were looking for a moderately priced AR type barrel,I'd at least study up on White Oak and maybe Wilson Combat.
I think they both use Wilson button rifled blanks.

If you buy a barrel without a matched bolt (not the best idea) then plan on checking headspace with your bolt. I've had it happen to receive a high dollar custom barrel that was out of spec. You don't know if you don't check.

If you are going to do the check,I suggest tools to strip the bolt.Look at a Sinclair bolt disassembly tool,which compresses the ejector and holds things nicely .
Because they are spring loaded small arts,and you are learning,I suggest ordering an ejector,an ejector pin,an ejector spring,an extractor pin,etc. These can be found as a maintenance kit.
Having the spares beats time on your knees searching.

Good luck!

Last edited by HiBC; December 3, 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.02527 seconds with 8 queries