View Single Post
Old February 8, 2012, 07:15 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Again, wnccester said:

I question the truth of that. No one need fear what vinegar - or Lemishine (Citric Acid) - might do to his cases. A week long vinegar soak hasn't been suggested by anyone but in my experience - a test specifically done to see what would happen - submerged soaks of several days in straight white vinegar was harmless to the cases. Diluting vinegar simply means it takes longer to get the job done, otherwise adding water has no effect.

and then he said:

A case cleaning solution including vinegar and salt was common for Army use as far back as the 1930s. Neither acidic (vinegar) nor citric (Lemishine) acids cause any problems with brass.

And I say again:.. submerge a few tarnished cases into the glass container for 7 days, the reaction of the case to the vinegar renders the case scrap..." In vinegar the case will turn pink/orange in a few hours, the vinegar goes after the zinc etc., etc.. and I said for a maximum of 15 minutes....and no one thought to ask WHY!

Then there is the Ol Army story, cleaned and stored brass 'in the old days' turned black, and when cleaning and 'pickling' brass in the Ol Army days time was a factor, the factor of time was 'for a maximum of 2 minutes'.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02573 seconds with 8 queries