View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 10:47 AM   #28
doofus47

The gunshow loophole is the same as the lnternet sales loophole

I keep hearing that "you can just buy guns over the internet."
I think what they mean is that it's shocking that people can use a sole-purpose site such as armslist to find someone else in their state that has a particular firearm that they wish to purchase. Then, unless your state has a universal background check law, you could have a purchase to a citizen of the same state begun over the internet and completed locally, probably face to face. Not a loophole if you don't have a UBC.
I think that the idea of sites like gunbroker and auctionarms really gets the anti goat b/c it seems so darn easy to bid and win. While technically true that the bidder and payer has 'bought' a firearm, even a cursory overview of they system makes it apparent that it's impossible to take possession of said firearm w/out a background check, if the seller lives in another state. (Again, not a loophole if no UBC exists in the buyer/seller's state).
I had a brief conversation with an anti who was pointing out the flaws in the system. He told me how easy it would be for him to buy a gun over the internet and have it shipped directly to him.
"Try it." I told him. "I'll see you in 5-10 and buy you a beer."
That was the end of the conversation and I don't think he ever tried.

Page generated in 0.02246 seconds with 8 queries