View Single Post
Old October 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Mike / Tx

Years ago before Al Gore invented the internet, and when I thought I knew all I needed to know about loading bullets, I shot mostly boat tails in most of my loads. Why because they were the best of the best. Most of my loads then were shot at 100yds and while I shot many awesome groups, (in my mind) there was a whole new world opened up to me once I started shooting out 3-500yds and further.

Yes some BT's will shoot better in some rifles than FB's, but the contrary is also even more true. I have had loads at 500 that groups almost within a 2" or less circle, with flat based bullets while the same could hardly be said with the groups of the BT's.

I have also had one rifle that really didn't like either, but it loved RN FB bullets. I guess the bearing surface wa what did it the most good.

Even so I found that while some BT's did actually shoot better, on game performance lacked sadly, where FB's usually held together and did what I wanted done.

Even out to the longer ranges I shoot nowadays, I find I use FB's mostly in just about everything. Not that I dislike the BT's but I find that I am simply more accurate with a standard load that I shoot all the time, over something I only load to do a special thing with.

Page generated in 0.02177 seconds with 8 queries