View Single Post
Old January 8, 2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Dannyboy303

Quote:
lefteye I am not an expert on this topic, but .300 Win. Mag. hunting rifles, including my Browning A-Bolt SS, have a 1:10 twist rate which, as I understand it, is appropriate (necessary?) to stabilize long 180 to 200 gr. (or heavier) hunting bullets. I am curious about the use of 1:12 twist in a .300 Win. Mag.
I chose a 1:12 because I usually load for speed when im pig hunting as I find it a fair bit easier to place shots on the running target. The game in Australia isn't that big so max I use is 180gr for long range shots on still targets like deer or dingos. Not sure if that reasoning is correct or not because I'm certainly not a professional.

On a good note I tried some different powder as suggested and worked up some loads and I've got marvellous results... Powder I'm using is AR 2217 made by ADI. Not sure the American equivalent. Was blown away by how much the powder changed the accuracy. I got it shooting the best with .5 under max load at about 1/2 MOA using hornady 180gr sst. Even got a nice clean shot at 500yards this afternoon on some dog food

As usual you guys solve my problems so thank you all for the suggestions

Page generated in 0.02690 seconds with 8 queries