View Single Post
Old June 13, 2012, 08:06 AM   #21
brushhippie

I guess what you read here (internet)is not necessarily true...what I found. anyway I have had wet powder since I make my own but have not had wet pyrodex....sounds like a good experiment and I am dying to know whats in pyrodex since I keep hearing how different it is but no real explanation....help me out fellers I dont like having bad info...

Hodgdon's Pyrodex was the first widely available substitute on the market. Pyrodex is less sensitive to ignition than black powder, and uses the same shipping and storage guidelines as smokeless powder. Pyrodex is more energetic per unit of mass than black powder, but it is less dense, and can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio by volume for black powder in many applications.[1] Pyrodex is similar in composition to black powder, consisting primarily of charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate, but it also contains graphite and potassium perchlorate, plus additional ingredients protected by trade secret.

now this is different, but not what we were talking about....

Hodgdon also makes Triple Seven, one of the family of sulfurless black powder substitutes. Triple Seven and Black Mag3 are more energetic than black powder, and produce higher velocities and pressures. Still burning carbon, the carbon-based fuel burned here is from the sugar family, not from charcoal.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries