View Single Post
Old October 9, 2005, 06:57 PM   #20
The British Soldier

I believe that carrying a cross draw holster is like advertising to someone that you are about to draw your pistol. Who carries anything on the weak hip and uses their strong hand to access it? It looks un-natural and sends alarm signals out. I appreciate the ideas of having the pistol accessible, but what about once you have exited the car?
I was trained to carry a pistol in civilian clothes in Northern Ireland for Counter Terrorist operations and we always wore standard ride holsters on the right hip [assuming you are right handed, of course!]. We always had them in the same place and attached to our belts in such a way that they could not slip forward or back. If you are reaching for your weapon in a hurry, an inch out of place can be important - it screws up your muscle memory. On the opposite hip we wore a double-magazine holder.
In cars, which we were in and out of all the time, we placed the pistol under your right thigh with the grip readily available; no one could see if from the outside - even if they leaned close.
May I suggest that cross draw holsters be left in the same cupboard as 'shoulder holsters' - another useless item.
Professionals keep it simple and workable.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 8 queries