View Single Post
Old May 24, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Theohazard

If you want a very good can that will work on a 9mm or a .22, you want an SWR Octane 9. The Octane is the only user-serviceable center-fire can I know of that is fine to shoot .22 out of. On sealed cans like the Osprey, the lead from the .22 (even with copper plated bullets) will eventually fill up the can. And with most serviceable cans like the ACC Ti-Rant, the baffle design is such that the lead will fuse the baffles to the inside of the can, making it very hard to dissemble when dirty. Plus, many cans have aluminum baffles which limits your options for lead-removing chemicals.

I've shot quite a few suppressors, and the Octane 9 is by far my favorite pistol-caliber can. As far as quietness, it will go toe-to-toe with the quietest cans on the market, but it's more durable due to the stainless steel baffle design. It has piston mounts available for any handgun thread pattern you can think of, plus a 5/8x24 option for 300 Blackout rifles (subsonic only). Heck, it even has a 3-lug mount available in case you ever get a hankering to throw it on a full-auto MP-5. I know full-auto isn't what you're looking for, but it shows how durable this thing is.

I never realized it was fine to shoot the Octane with .22 until my buddy was taking to a Silencerco rep (they bought SWR) and he said it was fine due to the baffle design. So we tested his Spectre 2 (one of the quietest .22 cans on the market) against the Octane 9 using a Ruger Mk 3 as the host. The Octane was significably quieter than the Spectre 2, which means the Octane 9 is probably quieter with .22 than any .22 can on the market today.

As for the host, a Glock is not a great suppressor host due to its loose, unsupported chamber; more gas escapes from the chamber area making it louder than some other hosts. To minimize this, you want a threaded barrel with a tighter chamber like those from Storm Lake or KKM. Lone Wolf barrels are cheaper, but the chambers have never been all that tight and the newer ones seem like they're looser. If you want maximum reliability, go with a factory Glock threaded barrel (if you can find one), but if you want maximum quietness go with a tighter match barrel like Storm Lake. As for thread pitch, unless you're getting a factory Glock barrel that only comes in 13.5x1 LH, go with the standard 1/2x28 thread pattern; most Octane 9s are going to come with 1/2x28 pistons in them already and that's the same thread pattern as almost all .22 threaded barrels out there.

As far as sights, you're not going to be able to see over the can unless you get really tall sights, but if you have high-visibility sights you may not find that to be much of an issue. When I shoot a pistol with normal sights and a can, I just line the sights up anyway even though the top of the can is blocking the target just above my sights. I find I'm still pretty accurate this way for most shooting. If this bothers you, most rail-mounted lasers will work fine with the Octane 9 and allow you to be a little more precise.

Another way to minimize noise is to run the heaviest recoil spring you can; this will keep the breech locked just a little longer and further minimize noise. I just ordered several different spring weights for my Glock 19, but I haven't tested them yet.

As far as trust vs. chief law enforcement officer sign-off, that all depends on where you live. Where I live a CLEO sign-off is virtually impossible to get, and in many other places it's the same or just very difficult. In that case, a trust can be a lot easier to set up. I work at an LGS that's a very high-volume suppresser dealer and we offer a free trust. We can get your trust done and your Form 4 paperwork ready to be sent out in less than 15 minutes from when you walk in the door. But even if you need to pay a third party to do a trust for you, it could be easier and faster if your CLEO won't do it or just takes a while.

Last edited by Theohazard; May 24, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.02216 seconds with 8 queries