View Single Post
Old May 24, 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
dayman

Suppressor questions

Last night a fox tried to break into my duck house. Fortunately I woke up, got outside, and managed to wing him as he retreated off into the woods.
However, the ruckus woke up my parents (next door @ ~100yds), and possibly my neighbors on the other side. It got me to thinking that maybe I should look into getting a suppressor.
And, having zero knowledge on the subject, I figured this would be a good place to start.

There are a few things.
First, I want something that's good quality and will last for a good while without crazy maintenance, but I'm not going to be using it on an SMG or in a war zone, so I'd prefer to spend as little money as possible. Not to say I want the cheapest thing out there, but neither do I need/want the very best/coolest.
Second, it's probably going to go on a Glock 19. Some of them appear to be "multi-caliber" (which confuses me as to how that would work), and if I could get something that would work on a .22 all the better, but if there's a significant difference in price/ease of maintenance/reliability/performance what I'm really looking for is something to suppress 9mm low enough that it won't kill my ears of wake up my neighbors.
Third, I'd be the only one shooting it. My dad might try it out when he comes over, and it's vaguely possible I might convince my wife to shoot it a couple times, but I have my own range behind the house, and I don't really "share" guns with anyone. Would that mean I could avoid the hassle of having to set up a trust?

So we come to a question of equipment.
First I would obviously need a can. A half hour or so of online research this morning lead me to the Thompson Machine Isis-2. It seems to have good reviews, and it's quite reasonably priced. I have no emotional ties to it though, and am certainly open to suggestion. It seems there are various internal systems suppressors use, and I really don't know how they compare to each other. Directions to non-biased "info for dummies" would be greatly appreciated as well.
Second, I'd need to get a threaded barrel. Are there any that are noticeably better or worse than others for use with a glock? The two companies that come to mind (only because I've heard them mentioned several times) are lone wolf and Bar-sto.
Finally, Sights. Will it be necessary to get high mount sights? The glock is a part of my carry rotation, so it would be nice - for my day to day use - if I could avoid putting great big high mount sights on it. I assume that would make finding holsters difficult. As much as I'm not a fan, maybe a laser would be an option when using the suppressor? Having never used one, I'm not sure exactly how much a suppressor interferes with using normal trijicons.

That was way longer than I expected. Hopefully it's not too meandering.

Page generated in 0.02138 seconds with 8 queries