View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Sevens

We actually had this question VERY recently in this forum though I haven't taken the time to look for it. Was within the last 30 days.

I have very limited experience in .45 Colt but what I've found very early in is that it's a bit of a, well, "situation" when you've got a gargantuan cartridge case and YET, you must stick to a low maximum pressure. You end up with a lot of space to fill and you are limited with how much powder you use to fill that space.

And different powders act erratically when they have too much space to occupy. In some cases, you can get a small charge of a fast burning powder to lay horizontally in the case and there's been years of discussion and conjecture about the possibility of catastrophic failure in this situation. ("Detonation") That's really a whole can of worms and I leave it to you (or others) to futher that discussion. However...I've already found that handloads in .45 Colt with massive amounts of "extra space" in the case has led to erratic on-range performance depending simply on how the gun/cartridges were last "tilted" before dropping the hammer.

And this situation is exacerbated when you use a lighter bullet because that lighter bullet is obviously shorter -- and leaves even MORE space inside. Some folks combat this with a solid or granule-based buffer, but again, that's territory that I'm not qualified to comment on.

This is a great place to use a very bulky and low-energy powder such as Trail Boss to combat the large amount of space. Myself, I've experimented with Titegroup because it's gained a reputation as a powder that's unusually resistant to it's position or place inside a large case. Which is good because it uses a minuscule charge weight!

I haven't gotten far enough in testing to come up with solid results but it's still something to consider.

In your position? I just can't see enough good reasons to spend such high dollars on an obviously expensive bullet for a cartridge that was absolutely designed around a very low-cost lead slug. While lead bullets aren't for everyone, it's awfully hard to argue about how good they are for the .45 Colt.

Big, heavy, take up lots of space and offer much less resistance to being shoved down the bore. And they'd simply cost a FRACTION of what you'd spend on the pricey FTX bullets.

I'm no authority - I'm hoping to learn from this thread also.

Page generated in 0.02469 seconds with 8 queries