View Single Post
Old November 9, 2012, 02:28 AM   #7
phil mcwilliam

I actually carried out a little experiment a few months ago & compared a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X50, Zeiss 4.5-14x50 & Kahles 2.5-10x50, with all scopes set & focused to 10x. I commenced my comparison during daylight hours & continued into the night, noting all scopes clarity under different light conditions.
Not a lot between all 3 scopes during daylight hours & the slight difference only became noticeable when trying to read signs 200 yards away.
The Zeiss conquest, although not the most expensive scope in my comparison was the clearest in trying to read signs 200 yards away. The Kahles & Zeiss were brighter than the Leupold during my night comparison, with Kahles & Zeiss being able to pick objects in the shadows of a moonlight night.
I actually own 4 different Leupold scopes & I'm more than happy with them & definately won't be going to change them, but my little comparison did give Zeiss the edge.
That said, I prefer a 2.5-10x50 scope for hunting because some of the terrain I hunt is close quarters where I prefer the lowest setting I can get, yet I've never felt hampered by 10x as a maximum on a variable.

Last edited by phil mcwilliam; November 9, 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02687 seconds with 8 queries