Thread: Dog Defense?
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2012, 04:24 PM   #39
12GaugeShuggoth

Sorry for the long post, but I'd just say be careful making assumptions as to what is "enough" for defense against any animals that might be hostile or rabid, whether it be dog, bear, chupacabra or whatever else is out there. I've seen a rabid dog take 00 buckshot and keep coming strong, I think of it like the superman effect some drugs can give people.

I had a rabid dog charge me once and a point blank (literally within 5-10 feet) 12 gauge 00 shot didn't seem to even get the dogs' attention. If it weren't for the fact that it could barely walk after the shot, let alone charge me, I fully believe that dog would've had me. The dog ended up being put down by a .22 through the skull, but upon examination the shotgun blast had done considerable damage to the vital area, in addition to severe damage to two of it's legs.

Not trying to be morbid with the details, but it amazed me how much that dog was able to take without going down. After the shot I took, it continued towards another person (the one with the .22) and absorbed a number of hollowpoint rounds all to the head and neck region before one finally hit the right spot and dropped it.

If I was specifically looking for a non-firearm defense to use against dogs and such, I wouldn't settle for less than the bear pepper spray. FWIW we weren't out hunting dogs or anything, that particular dog had broken in to our chicken pen and had killed over 12 of them. When we went to investigate the noises, the dog charged from inside the pen. Examining the pen after the fact it looked like the dog had chewed through the wire fencing to get in.

When we contacted animal control they told us that they had been looking for that dog for several weeks because of similar incidents and that the dog had already been shot before. Dogs in general are awesome and I love them, but rabid dogs are a completely different animal.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE

Page generated in 0.03217 seconds with 8 queries