View Single Post
Old October 5, 2000, 05:24 AM   #14
pocat

Then you train your young daughter for a 1/2 hour and she can take you down. Does that mean that your daughter can take thos guys down? Come on...

I think you need to read my post again. She did not "take me down." We started on the ground on her back (guard position) - that is where a smaller female will usually end up during a rape.
One cannot expect a smaller woman to stand up, toe-to-toe and knock out or incapcitate her attacker. YES - she should try to use EVERY defense in her arsenal (groin kicks, eye-gouges, etc.) to end it or get away on her feet. I also said this in my other post.

True, you should be familiar with the grappling arts, but train for a real fight. I think that martial arts are not a means of true self defense. That includes Karate, JKD, TKD and BJJ. They are meant for sport.

I have to say that the most experience I have gotten for a real-life-or-death fight was in BJJ. In some classes, we put on the gloves and went "all-out" as much as we could, without serious injury. I will admit that strikes being thrown on the ground makes a submission more difficult, but still very possible. However - I would much rather have a larger person striking me OFF of his feet, with less weight and power behind his punches than ON his feet.

Yes, modern Karate-do is mostly "sporterized," as is TKD. JKD, however, is not an art aimed toward "sport" or competition. The school I went to taught practical, effective self-defense techniques, most of it stand-up. Winning trophies or being awarded "belts" were not emphasised.

Bruce Lee's philisophy was "Absorb what is useful, discard what isn't." I'm not saying here that the striking arts are useless, and grappling is superior. If a person is serious about surviving a violent street encounter, he needs to study BOTH and use what works best for him, as he should find out through training. Can we agree on this?

Page generated in 0.02718 seconds with 8 queries