View Single Post
Old December 6, 2018, 06:47 PM   #11
hounddawg

Quote:
There have been a bunch of budget milligram balance models ending in '123' over the years, starting with the Denver MXX123. They all seem to have the same internals, but also suffer the same problems of strain gauge balances, which are at their limit at milligram levels. They're not bad for the money, but a bit drifty. The next level is the 1mg A&D Fx-120i. These are great for trickling onto, responsive to slow/small changes, very fast settling and stable (zero tracking still needs to function though). I've had a couple of these for years, and built powder dispensers around them. I prefer them for powder weighing to my analytical (0.1mg) balance.
Yep it is drifty, still have not decided whether it is something I can live with or not. The company I bought it from has a 30 day return policy and I have not tossed the packaging.

For me the most important characteristic for a powder scale is the repeat ability. If I can tare the scale and weigh a bullet and the scale drifts 1mg over the next two hours and I tare the scale will that bullet weigh the same + or - 2 Milligrams. Now can I weigh that bullet 5 days in a row and be within + or - those 2 milligrams I will keep it. That and not be off more than .1 grains from a calibrated weight. My RCBS Chargemaster reads .1 grain low compared to every other scale I have tested it with. As long as I am aware of that no issues, if I give it to my son in law I have to make sure he realizes that a 7.2 grain charge is probably closer to 7.3.

A&D's have a great reputation, I just have to decide if I want to spend that much. Hehe or I might just spend that money on batteries for the little Smartweigh and check it against my beam and spend the money on powder, primers, bullets and rimfire ammo. It seems to do the job pretty well

Last edited by hounddawg; December 6, 2018 at 09:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries