View Single Post
Old September 9, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Rangefinder

Little Mosin Project

I love my mosin--it's just a load of fun to shoot. But, like so many others have noted, that damn bolt sticking straight out annoyed me, and I hated it snapping straight up when open... So I'd contemplated a little over the past year or so about changing to the bent bolt. Options are there---buy a bolt-on conversion (never really liked that idea), or send the bolt off to someone who chops it and welds a piece of round stock in place with a ball on the end (and that's exactly what it looks like--the visual attractiveness of a polished piece of round stock with a ball at the end). What I'd really been looking for was something that looked like it belonged on a 70 year-old 91/30--slightly rugged, a little character, and functional without excess. When you can't find what you want elsewhere, do it yourself....

First was a piece of carbon steel rod that I took to the forge and anvil. I drew it out a little and flared the end into a slight bell (so much more appealing than a ball in my opinion).

Next was the bend and cut-off, followed by a rough grind on the flare. I took out most of the draw marks but added a rim and a couple chisel marks for character and thumb grip, then touched up and evened out the top end before annealing. Threaded it, then went to work on the bolt. The only moment of pause was right before cutting off the straight bolt. Once done I dressed it up and marked it to drill and tap for the new bolt. Drilled, tapped, and tightened into place, the bent-bolt project took just over an hour. The only part left to be done is to polish it out to match the finish of the rest of the bolt---but that's the easy part. The best part is I got what I wanted. (And had to share the results )

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Page generated in 0.03777 seconds with 8 queries