View Single Post
Old April 30, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Roshi

My method

I'd advise you search on this forum for various recipes.

Experiment, you can always get back to a white metal finish.

I remove all the bluing using either Birchwood Casey Rust & Blue Remover or white vinager.

Then I let it rust a little to discolor the metal in spots and remove it partiallly with extra fine steel wool. You may get the effect you're after with this treatment. You may have to repeat the rusting and steel wooling.

You can also apply cold bluing and then remove it with diluted white vinager and rinse with water followed by light steel wooling and then finished with a light coat of oil. Please do remember to remove all rust from the cylinder chambers and the bore!

If you don't like the way it turns out you can start all over again. Some vinager, steel wool, followed by rinsing and bit of metal polish (Flitz) will bring it back to a white metal finish.

Many use browning solutions.

When you are at the rust stage from the vinager if you drop the parts in boiling water the rust will often turn black which is actually a form of rust bluing. You can then use steel wool to get to a true blue or work with diluted vinager on a rag to get what you like.

Please note that unless you rinse the parts thoroughly with water or neutralize the vinager (acetic acid) with baking soda, the vinager will continue to work on the finish.

Page generated in 0.03510 seconds with 8 queries