Thread: Deer Baiting
View Single Post
Old April 27, 2013, 10:21 AM   #46
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

HungryHunter, bow-hunting is hunting, so discussions about it are quite welcome, here.

My familiarity with southern AZ comes from driving I-10 and I-8 plus the old US 80 loop down through Douglas and back to I-10. Not a lot different than my home turf in south Brewster County, south of Alpine, Texas.

Most of my hunting, there, has been cross-country walking. I've halfway figured out where a buck is likely to be holed up for the day, so I head toward such an area and try to kick him out of bed to see if he's worth shooting.

A little buck is just as much hassle to get him toward a jeep trail as a big buck, so I figure I might as well make the misery worthwhile.

So, ten or twelve miles in a day. Lotsa days, nada. But, Bucky spends 24/7 being a deer, all year round. Me, not so much. Fun, though.

I don't see much difference between setting up near bait from a cougar setting up near a water hole. Same sort of deal, really. What's the difference between sitting on a hillside, five miles from camp and leaned up against a rock or tree, from sitting in a box blind?

Seems to me that folks worry too much about other people's business.

Page generated in 0.02354 seconds with 8 queries