View Single Post
Old September 19, 2011, 02:25 PM   #30
Shadow9

Jimbob - I haven't had the range room (25 acres of privately-owned deep forest is my "range") to do a 100-yard test, but I do have the "Accuracy card" from Steyr that shows exactly 1-MOA, and was shot from rest at the S-M Factory in Austria.

bamaranger - This is true, a .22 has been on the menu, however I am considering an accurate pistol instead of a rifle...something I can draw and shoot quickly, as well as bolster my pistol-shooting skill with. As far as one-rifle? Well, I'm young and looking at a mobile-lifestyle in the next few years (moving in with s/o to new apt, space-limitations, etc), and having more than 1-2 guns will impede this.
Plus, I used to have multiple guns...it was...fun...but I really had 1-2 out of 7-8 that I'd ever shoot regularly...and 6.5 I'd be addicted to easier than 7-08/6.5/20g/7.62x54/30-06/etc etc.

RE: Marlins/Winchesters/Remingtons - consider me blasphemous, but I wouldn't drop money on any of the aforementioned...it's a personal taste thing, the Winchesters are the only American rifles that I've taken any kind of interest in, but even that's limited. I dislike Remington actions (despite their pedigree track record), and Marlins, although EXCELLENT woods-rifles, I also cannot really form a good "relationship" with. Again, elitist-eurotrash reporting in... :P

That said, I do have access to a 336C with a 1.5-5x Marlin scope, German #1 reticle in .35 Rem. Excellent rifle for woods, but it's not mine, and I just don't really take to the lever-action/narrow/tall feel of the Marlins. Something about a good ol' Bavarian hogsback/full-stock rifle feels so right, especially the 527 and 452 FS's that I've held.

Now I just need to find a !$#% 550 FS to HOLD to see if my suspicions are correct... >.< Advice here appreciated, looks like I'm on the same wavelength as the rest! That is, adding a 6.5x55 to the collection (keeping it to one set of dies), and getting around to a .22LR pistol for close-range hunting later.

Any recommendations on a good, accurate .22LR pistol? Mark III, Single-six and Browning Buckmark were the ideas I had...Walthers I do not own for personal reasons (bad experiences/dislike the weapons), and the P22 has had it's well-known host of problems. The other .22LR pistols I've encountered offer cheap plinking, but less-than-stellar accuracy....or I'm not aware of others..

Page generated in 0.03907 seconds with 8 queries